- Published on Saturday, 16 March 2013 11:25
- Hits: 2457
Why have we launched this campaign?
Although the Mega Quarry application has been withdrawn, our food and water is still at risk.The existing Aggregate Resources Act (ARA) and our Provincial Policy Statement (PPS), still allow similar applications to be approved. We are continuing to demand changes to the ARA and PPS ensuring that Prime Farmland and Source Water regions are protected.
How do we "demand" changes to the government's current legislation?
With the use of social media (emails, letter writing, Facebook, Twitter) and visual media (Food & Water First signs, events to raise awareness), we plan to flood our representatives with messages, plant Food & Water First signs throughout the province and continue to raise awareness to this issue. We will make our voices heard loud and clear to our officials who we elected to represent us!
As individuals, how can we become involved in this campaign?
Take the Pledge.
"Plant" your Food & Water First signs on your lawns, bumper stickers on your cars (all these will be available through our sign depots and participating organizations and communities), answer our Calls to Action, sign up and participate in Food & Water First Facebook and Twitter, attend our awareness events and spread the word. Keep up to date by visiting www.ndact.com and the Food & Water First website.
What are Food & Water First Communities and Organizations?
Organizations and communities that have signed the Food & Water First Pledge, have agreed to the program and become Food & Water First participants.
The pledge and details of participation (the Food & Water First package) can be viewed at:
Summarize the details of the Food & Water First package.
Firstly, in order to get our message of Food & Water First spread throughout the province, we need to involve other communities and organizations that value the prioritization of preserving Ontario's prime farmland and source water regions.
Those willing communities and organizations are presented with The Food & Water First package.
Participants sign a pledge stating: We hearby pledge to protect Ontario's prime farmland and source water regions. We will make every effort to preserve the land and water that sustain us now and for future generations. We will put food and water first.
- They become "partners" and their logo is posted on the Food & Water First website partners page.
- They provide a weekly "agri-fact" - the importance of food and water and post it on their website/Facebook/Twitter
- They purchase Food & Water First signs with their website on the bottom and distribute the signs to their customers for "planting" to spread the word
- The Food & Water First website will include a blog with updates as well as links to their partners facbook and Twitter accounts where information and calls to action are shared with the FB and Twitter communities
- All this will help drive provincial policy change
I am an organization or business that would like to participate, how do I become involved?
2. Read and sign the pledge.
You will be emailed the "Toolkit", which has easy to follow instructions.