- Published on Wednesday, 13 March 2013 20:31
- Hits: 1328
A model bill, prioritizing local food was prepared by The Canadian Environmental Law Association.
This was prepared in expectation of a new bill being drafted by the Provincial government in the next few months.
The Act’s purpose is to improve Ontario’s local food systems by:
1) improving Ontario’s knowledge of the benefits of local food,
2) strengthening Ontario’s local food economy,
3) promoting environmentally friendly farming, production and processing practices,
4) improving local food distribution
5) increasing public procurement of local food, and
6) inter-governmental coordination and public participation in local food planning and decision-making.
PART II of the Act establishes its administration.
The Act appoints the Minister of Agriculture and Food as the Minister responsible for implementing the Act, and designates the Minister as advisor to the government on issues concerning local foodsystems.
To read the entire report, click here or click on the image above. (471.67 KB)